Monday, May 23, 2016

Something Old

It is only fitting on May 23rd, my first official day of being 50, that I entitle my post "Something Old".  The birthday was just about everything I expected, or dreaded, it would be.  I realize it is just a number, but the number 34 was a lot better.  It was a happier, funner time.  The realization that you are a half-century old is hard to swallow.  It definitely bites to think that you are on the downhill side of your life.  All of these thoughts and feelings hit me hard yesterday.  It didn't help matters to have a 14yr old in complete "don't care" mode when we were trying to get out the door to go out to eat, or getting THE pan my husband really wanted for his birthday wrapped up for me, or the bit of very disappointing news that came out at dinner.  It all left me wanting a do-over... a do-over from about 2000.

I have been doing a few things for clients that I don't think I can show.  I did a little quilt for a book Bonnie Browning is publishing with AQS last week.  Once the book hits the shelves later this summer, I can show it.  I also did another client quilt, but the photos are still on my phone.  I have hand stitched about 70 tiny silk dots onto my quilt.  It still has loads of work to go before I can bind it, but its making progress.  This week I must do a Ladies of the Sea...my last large custom for a while.

A month ago, I resurrected this.  It was appliqued in 2012.  Actually there are 4 blocks, which I designed -- two are based on ceramic tiles.  I was set to finish this 1-2 yrs ago until I discovered another quilter had made one of the blocks nearly exactly to mine.  Coincidence or did she find the tile too?...no clue.  Either way, I quit.

 It was initially conceived to have a center peacock, but I have omitted that, figuring it might get done sooner this way.  I dreamed up some green frames, added some blue bias trims, and machine stitched it on.  I had bought a bunch of fabric, and wanted to use it (ie, not buy more).
 My sketch of what I envision doing is here.  There is a little more applique to do, someday.
 Here's my "cheater" background.  With the fabrics from 4+ yrs ago, it is hard to find more of them now, and it turns out that I don't have quite enough.  SO...I pulled some junk flower fabric and pieced the background with it.  This is because once the plates are appliqued down, this "junk" will be cut away and tossed anyways.
 ...as this shows.  It's not yet stitched, but given all the baseball I have in my future, I may have some new car projects.
Stay tuned to 2020, when I will show another update to this slow-moving quilt!

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

I'm sorry turning 50 wasn't pleasant but yo always handle adversity so well. You vent and you move on and I find that inspiring! I'll be 56 this year and, I have to say, that turning 50 was great for me. Having unhappy teens is hard for anyone to handled on a day-to-day basis. I know because I was one for 2 years. I hated everything and everybody. My Mo swears that my Dad and I didn't speak to each other for 18 months. All I can say is that it gets better! You are lucky to have so much talent and a way to creatively direct your energies and emotion.
It will all work out and when you are old and cranky you can let your oldest take care of you....and that's something to look forward to!

lvkwilt said...

Turning 50 wasn't so bad for me, but 65 is looming in September and that one is a worry--mostly for health insurance reasons, but I won't go into my views on that! Happy birthday! I'll tell you what my SIL started telling her daughters on her 50th...when they would ask her to do something, she'd say "I'm 50, you do it!" That gave me a good laugh and I admit I may have used it a time or two! Fourteen year olds are by nature selfish--this too shall pass (hopefully!). Hope your husband enjoys your birthday present (yes, I'm being sarcastic)...

sdrussell said...

Happy belated Birthday.As I am sure your have heard before "age is just a number". It is when the body catches up with the age that things go bad. The only way to go on is just keep learning and failing and trying again. Every year you quilts become more and more complicated and beautiful. 50 is young, just think of what you will accomplice in the next 50 years. I look forward to seeing each and every quilt you make, and learning so much from you.

Lynne Stucke said...

It's stunning! I love it!

Unknown said...

Many happy returns! I understand your decade birthday issues. I just turned 59 and I use a little bit of mental jujitsu to cope with the impending 60. I have already entered my 60th year. My parents didn't celebrate my 1st birthday the day I was born, so I'm hoping this will soften the blow when the actual number rolls around next year.
My biggest issue, and this is a bit morbid, is that I'm rushing to finish as many quilts as I can before my body just gives out. There's so much I want to do and the aging process is interfering. Sucks to get old, but it beats the alternative. I try not to take myself too seriously, and try very hard to embrace my inner goofy. Definitely more fun.
Best wishes, Margaret, from a fellow sufferer of not aging gracefully.
I love your work and you have inspired me to try rulers on my domestic machine, something that I used to consider apostasy! Thanks for sharing so much beauty.